Re: Serial Console and Slow SCSI Disk Access?

Jeff Gold wrote:
Mark Lord wrote:
This can happen if there are kernel messages being printed on the serial console. If all is quiet, I would expect things to be as fast as normal elsewhere.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't see much in /var/log/messages (syslogd is running). There are 3326 lines taking up about 256 kB there, and when I run hdparm runs no further messages are generated.

I don't have anything attached to the serial port at the moment. Could that cause problems? I'm going to attach something and see what happens. Other advice is still welcome.
With nothing attached, any write to the serial device might go through
a lengthy timeout because of flow control.  I'd consider that a bug
in this case though, and there is usually no console printout
per scsi disk access either.

I would not be surprised if your serial console causes a longer boot time,
as all boot messages have to be transferred over the slow serial link
or in the worst case timed out one message at a time.

But I can't see why it'd make scsi disks slower. The scsi host adapter initialization
writes some messages of course, but there should be no more console accesses
during a hdparm test run.

Helge Hafting