Re: Suspending and resuming a single task

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 03:06 +0200, Wojciech Moczulski wrote:
> Matthew Garrett napisał(a):
> > http://cryopid.berlios.de/ ?
>
> OK, and if I want to parse the path to a file, where process state is saved,
> to the kernel and let the kernel module restart the process? Is it possible to
> do it this way (without building self-executable binary)?

One of the earlier incarnations of CryoPID did more or less this - it
generated an ELF file with segments as laid out in the original image,
so that the kernel ELF loaded did all the dirty work. It still required
an extra portion of code to be injected into the binary in order to
restore registers, file descriptors, etc. I recall the main reason I
switched away from it was to be able to compress the images.

If you're going to be modifying the kernel in order to resume processes,
then implementing it as an binary format handler (fs/binfmt_*) may be
what you're looking for.

Regards,

Bernard.