Re: Linux v2.6.17

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 07:06:17PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Not a lot of changes since the last -rc, the bulk is actually some
> > last-minute MIPS updates and s390 futex changes, the rest tend to be
> > various very small fixes that trickled in over the last week.
>
> Btw, one thing that I was planning to ask people - does anybody find the
> full-format ChangeLog's that I produce at all useful?
>
> You can get the exact same information directly from git, and the full
> changelog (as opposed to the shortlog) tends to be pretty rough to read,
> so I suspect that most people who do want to delve into the details are
> actually much more likely to look it up using git instead (at which point
> you can obviously get much better information - graphical history, diffs,
> etc)
>
> I'm not going to stop doing the incremental shortlogs, since those are
> easy to read and I usually post them with the release announcement unless
> they end up being too large (usually -rc1 has a _lot_ of changes as a
> result of the merge window), but I'm just wondering if anybody finds the
> full logs useful at all?
>
> They're easy for me to generate, but if nobody uses them, I don't see much
> of a point..

I like to read the shortlog for getting an overview of the changes
containing a bit more detail than your verbal summary at the top.

I need git for getting more detail and I could generate them myself. But
if it wasn't there, I might not generate it myself, and might therefore
not ask "Why did this patch get into -rc6?" or become curious enough for
using git to check the contents of a commit.

> 			Linus

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.