Re: [RFC] CPU controllers?

Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 06:48:17PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:

- Do we need mechanisms to control CPU usage of tasks, further to what
	  already exists (like nice)?  IMO yes.

Can we get back to the question of need? And from there, work out what
features are wanted.

IMHO, having containers try to virtualise all resources (memory, pagecache,
slab cache, CPU, disk/network IO...) seems insane: we may just as well use
virtualisation.

So, from my POV, I would like to be convinced of the need for this first.
I would really love to be able to keep core kernel simple and fast even if
it means edge cases might need to use a slightly different solution.

I think a proportional-share scheduler (which is what a CPU controller
may provide) has non-container uses also. Do you think nice (or sched policy) is enough to, say, provide guaranteed CPU usage for applications or limit their CPU usage? Moreover it is more flexible if guarantee/limit can be specified for a group of tasks, rather than individual tasks even in non-container scenarios (like limiting CPU usage of all web-server tasks togther or for limiting CPU usage of make -j command).

Oh, I'm sure there are lots of things we *could* do that we currently can't.

What I want to establish first is: what exact functionality is required, why,
and by whom. Only then can we sanely discuss the fitness of solutions and
propose alternatives, and decide whether to merge.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.