Re: sound skips on 2.6.16.17

On Sunday 18 June 2006 10:41, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> that shouldn't break things, if it does I *really* want to know

> > PCI-quirk-VIA-IRQ-fixup-should-only-run-for-VIA-southbridges.patch
>
> nor should that, so again i would like to know if this is the one that
> makes a difference
>
> > > Works like a charm. End of the sound skips.
>
> what cpu/mainboard/etc

It is the 2nd patch
(PCI-quirk-VIA-IRQ-fixup-should-only-run-for-VIA-southbridges.patch) that is
causing the sound stuttering/skipping problems for our users with VIA
chipsets. Backing out the first patch alone did not fix the problem
(PCI-VIA-quirk-fixup-additional-PCI-IDs.patch) but to back out the 2nd patch,
you need to have  initially backed out the first patch, due to the way the
patches apply in series.

Because I was too lazy to make a new patch which backs out only the 2nd patch
(PCI-quirk-VIA-IRQ-fixup-should-only-run-for-VIA-southbridges.patch) changes,
I still have not confirmed if its the 2nd patch alone that is causing
breakage, or if its a combination of both of them.

It took me a long time to track down this problem, as I was spending all my
time looking at alsa related stuff, but then we finally found that it was
infact anything above the 2.6.16.17 stable release that was breaking things.
The obvious first target was to backout the VIA related changes made in the
2.6.16.17 release and bingo.... my testers with VIA chipsets were happy
again....

--
*ocilent1