Re: a newbie with the kernel--a few questions

Tyler,

This is quite possible.

The ps command reads ALL or most of the info it needs from the /proc
directory. The proc filesystem is a virtual filesystem implemented by the
kernel.

If you change ps software then you will be able to implement these security restrictions.

(1) check the login
(2) if only root , then read and show from /proc files.

You can get the source code of ps from

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/source/admin/psmisc_19.orig.tar.gz

Thanks
Sena Seneviratne
Computer Engineering Lab
School of Electrical and Information Engineering
Sydney University
Australia