a newbie with the kernel--a few questions

Hello list,
I have a couple questions.
First, I want to get into kernel programming.
It looks kinda, imposing with the directories and everything. How do you
know what is what? If you want to write something, how do you know where to
put it in so that it conflict with other things? Also, how do you know what
functions are where? I guess I am just looking for something on the design
of the kernel, probably its structure when looking at the source code.
thanks,
~~TheCreator~~
website:
http://tysplace.shaned.net