Re: i2c-algo-ite and i2c-ite planned for removal

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 22:57 +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed today that we have an i2c bus driver named i2c-ite,
> supposedly useful on some MIPS systems which have an ITE8172 chip,
> which doesn't compile. It is based on an i2c algorithm driver named
> i2c-algo-ite, which doesn't compile either, due to some changes made to
> the i2c core which weren't properly reflected there. Going back trough
> the versions, I found that the bus driver was previously named
> i2c-adap-ite, and was introduced in 2.4.10. And I don't think it even
> compiled back then either, as it uses a structure (iic_ite) which isn't
> defined anywhere.
>
> So basically we have two drivers in the kernel tree for 5 years or so,
> which never were usable, and nobody seemed to care.

For historical correctness, this driver was once upon a time usable,
though it was a few years ago. It was written by MV for some ref board
that had the ITE chip and it did work. That ref board is no longer
around so it's probably safe to nuke the driver.

Pete