Re: [Sdhci-devel] PATCH: Fix 32bitism in SDHCI

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 06:37:37PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Iau, 2006-06-15 am 18:59 +0200, ysgrifennodd Pierre Ossman:
> > Alan Cox wrote:
> > > The data field is ulong, pointers fit in ulongs. Casting them to int is
> > > bad for 64bit systems.
> >
> > It's in my (rather large) queue. I'm just waiting for a merge window. :)
>
> I'd have thought that one was a "Duh whoops, fix it now" kind of
> submission for 2.6.17

akpm sent it to me, so I merged it into my tree, and now I've been
sitting on it all this week because I've taken the decision that I
do not want to put anything further into Linus' tree until we actually
see 2.6.17.

If you look at what Linus said when he released -rc7, the reason we
had -rc7 instead of -final was that we had too many changes.  We can
either go on throwing more and more changes, albiet 100% correct
bug fix changes, and carry on releasing -rc after -rc, but at some
point there must be an end to this, and -final must happen.

It's been three months since 2.6.16 was released.  I'm not prepared
to be the reason that we have another week of -rc-ism because of too
many small but apparantly correct changes.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core