Re: ON/OFF control of taskstats accounting data at do_exit

Jay Lan wrote:

> Are you saying if there is no listener, data will not be assembled and sent
> by the kernel?  I thought kernel would always send no matter whether there
> is listener? I apologize for the noise if i made a mistake.

It will be assembled by taskstats. But afaict, the sending of data by the netlink layer will
be halted within netlink_broadcast(), which is a couple of calls down the call path from
genlmsg_multicast(), which is used by taskstats uses to send data out.

Lets discuss turning off of taskstats assembly separately.

Jamal, Thomas,

If there are no listeners on a genetlink socket, do you think overhead of kernel paths that
continue to attempt sending multicast data on genetlink sockets is an issue ?

--Shailabh