Network drivers - porting to 2.6 issues

Hi,
 I have  ported a wlan driver from 2.4 to 2.6.

 I am referring to the porting article in lwn.net.

 The driver works fine for sometime. after which data transfer
becomes very slow.

 i have telnet to a remote machine. i do ls -Rl /

 data transfer is ok to start with, then it becomes very slow.

 also whatever i type on the shell prompt appears after a while.

 This happens - sometimes it is faster and then slow. this goes on in a cycle.

 Is there any difference between a 2.4 and 2.6 kernel network stack?.

 I have changed registeration, changing task queues to work queues
and stuff like that.

  am not sure if the network stack api's and thier meanings have changed.

  is there anything i should watch out for?.

 sometimes i do get : NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out

  What does this mean?.

is there anything more i should watch out for?.

Regards,
sriram