Re: [RFC] the /proc/filecache interface

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 02:19:30PM -0700, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> Interesting work. But I am worried that, this is getting over-designed.
> Lets go back to basics - what is the actual problem we are trying to
> solve here ? What are mininum requirements ? How does it help solve
> the problem ? Who & How one uses this ? Yes. I understand - these
> just provide stats on filecache, but we can provide all the nitty
> details - which are not really relevant or useful.
>
> Don't get me wrong - I really need better understanding of whats there
> in pagecache. Infact, I need a better way to control how much filecache
> in pagecache.
>
> (BTW, I like your patch for "educational" purposes - but I am not
> sure how useful it is for practical purpose).

Badari,

Thanks for the comment. The interface does provides some more details
than I will actually need. The intention is to show the possibilities
in the first place, and trim down / expand a bit based on feedbacks.

For the GUI pre-caching stuffs I'm working on, the following features
will be essential ones:
        - file list view
                - sorted roughly on the first access time
                - the size/cached/dev/file attributes
        - page list view
                - the idx/len/state attributes
                - the referenced/active/mmap page flags