RE: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)

So get a better ISP than cox.net.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kyle Moffett
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 6:42 AM
To: Bernd Petrovitsch
Cc: David Schwartz; LKML Kernel; jdow
Subject: Re: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)

On Jun 12, 2006, at 04:18:06, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> No. SPF simply defines legitimate outgoing MTAs for a given domain.

I'm sorry, but the internet just doesn't work that way.  I have 3 email
accounts (mac.com, vt.edu, and cox.net).  Both my college and my house deny
all SMTP to anyone but their local servers.  If mac.com published an SPF
filter and VGER used the SPF filter, I would have no way at all to send mail
via this account, simply for the reason that neither of my local ISPs will
allow my to directly send email to mac.com.  Likewise for my vt.edu account
while at home or my cox.net account while at college.

IMHO, turning on SPF will not gain anything for the LKML; a bayesian filter
based solution would be much more tenable.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

the body of a message to [email protected] More majordomo info at