Re: [RFC] Light weight event counters (V2) instead of page state

Christoph Lameter wrote:
We would like to have some solution that reduces the
overhead for these counters. VM counters currently require interrupt disabling
in order to work. Maybe we can avoid that by using the local_t which provides
an increment operation that is not atomic vs other processors but atomic vs
interrupts on this same processor.

> The patchset also adds an off switch for embedded systems that allows a
> building of linux kernels without these counters.

Did you consider using the statistics infrastructure available in -mm?
(lib/statistic.c, include/linux/statistic.h, Documentation/statistics.txt)

It's a ready-to-use statistics library that comes with similar characteristics
as you have described above.

> The remaining counters in page_state after the zoned VM counter patch has
> been applied are all just for show in /proc/vmstat.  They have no essential
> function for the VM.

To me that looks like a good application for the statistics infrastructure,
which shows statistics through debugfs instead of procfs. Btw., it completely
unburdens exploiting kernel code from the delivery of statistics to users.

	Martin