Re: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 05:26:23PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Phil Oester <[email protected]>
> Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:11:01 -0700
>
> > On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:06:52AM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> > > Making subscription to LKML a requirement would be a major barier for
> > > people who just want to shoot off a bug report or similar but who do
> > > not want to be subscribed (nor can be botherd to go through the
> > > motions to subscribe, or perhaps can't work out how to subscribe)...
> > > We want users to be able to submit bugreports to the list easily.
> >
> > The rejection sent to non-subscribers could point them to a website
> > where they could submit a message via a webform (after correctly
> > entering the contents of a CAPTCHA).
>
> No way, too much work.  If plain email doesn't work, people will
> throw up their hands and say "why bother?"  We don't want to do
> one iota of something which will even possibly deter a bug report
> because we need as much information about bugs as possible.

I agree with you David. I had to report a bug to the NTP mailing list. I
got it back right in my face because I had not subscribed. Then I went
to thei bugzilla interface... What a counter-intuitive tool ! I was about
to give up at least 3 times. It took me at least 15 minutes to find how I
could report my bug and provide the patch in a usable form. I'm really
sure that a lot of bug reports get lost because of this !

I'd rather get a few spams on LKML than lose bug reports because of
discouraged users !

Cheers,
Willy