Re: Re: RFC: dma_mmap_coherent() for powerpc/ppc architecture and ALSA?

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:51:16 +0200
> Von: Takashi Iwai <[email protected]>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> Betreff: Re: RFC: dma_mmap_coherent() for powerpc/ppc architecture and
> ALSA?
>
> > Well, implementing the dma_mmap_coherent() function isn't the
> > problem, because it is already implemented for the ARM
> > architecture.
>
> Actually, I wrote dma_coherent_mmap patch long time ago but it has
> been left forgotten.  The patch attached below seems applicable to
> 2.6.17 tree, but I'm not sure whether it still works properly.
> It's untested on most of architectures.

Thanks, that helps me a lot!

> > But as far as I understand this would require a rewrite of all the
> > ALSA drivers (or at least a rewrite of the ALSA's DMA helper
> > functions).
>
> Yes.  The change of ALSA side has been also on my tree.  But it was
> still pending since I'm not satisfied with the design yet.
> If you're interested in it, let me know.  I'll post the patch.

Yes, please! Then I can test, if the dma_mmap_coherent() patch works on
my non cache coherent powerpc machine. Do you think the DMA Layer/ALSA patches will go upstream in one of the next ALSA/Linux kernel versions?

Thanks!

Gerhard