Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 03:49:46PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
And no real-world near-term progress is made for production users with
modern requirements. What you're advocating breeds instability in the
near-term.
There's also the old-fashioned "no regressions" requirement.

You are trading near-term instability for the few users with "modern requirements" against possible regressions for a large userbase.

Alex mentioned a few times that the extents code just adds three if.
I'm pretty sure that will not give you any regressions in the existing
codebase.  Can we concentrate on the more useful discussion topics now?

Alex is off by an order of magnitude. I've re-read the 13-patch series, and this is the result of the review:

There are _five_ "if (new) .. else .." constructs added in JBD alone.

Three added in extent map support.

Twenty-seven (27) such constructs in 48-bit physical block support.

Two more in 48-bit ACL support.

And finally, the superblock changes don't add any branches, like the other code does, but it does double the endian conversion work that -every- user must do, even if they don't use 48bit at all.

	Jeff