Re: acpi dock test-drive

Hi Kristen,

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:45:38AM -0700, Kristen Accardi wrote:
> What you are describing sounds like the bug I just fixed :).  Can you
> please try 2.6.17-rc6-mm1 to see if this works any better?  I believe it
> should resolve both the oops and the fact that your devices behind the
> pci bridge are not found.  Thanks very much for continuing to test the
> patches.

after adding acpi-dock-driver-acpi_get_device_fix.patch the Oops is
truly gone, although the current behaviour seems dangerous to me. AFAIR
the undock button causes the disk to spin down and the backlight to be
turned off e.g. when the boot manager is displayed and power management
controlled entirely by the bios. What I got now was an endless loop that
caused everything including sysrq keys to be all but interactive, but
what bothers me more is the rythmic noise from the hard disk. It sounds
as if it was attempting a spin-down, barely audible, and only for a
fraction of a second. This happens about 1.5 times per second, and if
this is what I guess it is, it won't prolong the disk's life : /

Devices behind the PCI bridge are not yet discovered as well. Guess I'd
have to build a debug kernel some time soon. Dmesg dumps will have to
wait until "tomorrow", it's 4:45am and I feel like a dead piece of meat.

Thanks for your work!

Chris