Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 12:49:54AM +0400, Alex Tomas wrote:
>  JB> 	Which is irrelevant.  If you tell the world "extents are
>  JB> better!", they're going to turn them on regardless of whether you
>  JB> consider their situation a good candidate.  Many non-kernel-hackers
>  JB> started using reiserfs before it was usably stable, just because
>  JB> "journaling is better!"
>
> I haven't said that so far. I feel absolutely comfortable to put
> as many warnings as needed from your point of view.

	When I say "you", I mean the general consensus.  You can scream
"don't do this" as loud as you want, the world might drown you out.  Not
every random person that sees "new extents in ext3" is going to know
that Alex is the authority.  They certainly aren't going to read the
documentation.  They'll read some comment on some website that says "all
you need is '-o extents'!"

Joel

--

"A narcissist is someone better looking than you are."
         - Gore Vidal

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle