Re: 2.6.18 -mm merge plans

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:53:37 +0200
Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:

> [ lockdep ]
>
> So unless something unexpected happens in -mm, i'd like to see this
> merged into 2.6.18 too.

Well, we _could_, and I guess that we'd get things acceptably sorted out in
time for release.  But it'll be pretty chaotic and we don't want chaos
happening in Linus's tree.

I don't think there's any rush here - the code is only now reaching
sort-of-ready-for-mm status.  And..

- I think we still have a problem with the raid/bdev changes in
  block_dev.c.

- the changes to block_dev.c _do_ impact non-lockdep kernels

- we need to take a second look to see which other
  dont-affect-non-lockdep-kernels patches are in fact affecting non-lockdep
  kernels

- the changes to block_dev.c were pretty awful anyway

- did the various review comments I sent get disposed of in some fashion?

My overarching concern is the rate at which false-positive workaround
patches are piling up.  At some point we need to step back and decide
whether the goodness justifies the badness.  I expect we'll be OK, but I
don't think we're yet in a position to know that for sure.

(I'm actually quite surprised at how few real bugs this checker has
revealed.  We must rock, or something).