Re: [RFC] Update sysctl documentation

Diego Calleja <[email protected]> wrote:
> First of all: the formatting I've choosen is to recreate the structure
> of /proc/sys/* and put the documentation for every value in a separated
> file, so I have things like Documentation/sysctl/vm/swappiness or
> Documentation/sysctl/net/ipv4/locktime.

I am not sure if that is a good idea, since a lot of the sysctl params in a
directory reference each other or depend on the settings. If you want to
explain concepts (neighbour cache) one sentence can explain multiple
parameters. "wait for x and try y times..."

In the net case for example ipv4/conf/* is such a usefull cluster,
especially since there is this dynamic all/default/<iface> functionality.

And I also think you should not create TODO single-line files, better
collect those in a central TODO file (for each directory), that is less
frustrating for the reader (and still preserves your great work on updating
the list)

BTW: perhaps some markup would be nice so we can create the man pages out of
it? One thing I am impressed with in the BSD world is the existence of
up-to-date Kernel ABI man pages.

Gruss
Bernd

PS: and sorry for the dropped CC, I am not impolite, only stupid.