x86_64 system call entry points

Hi, (first post)

I am trying to trace system calls (entry + exit) on x86_64 architecture, so I am basically working on arch/x86_64/kernel/entry.S and arch/x86_64/ia32/ia32entry.S (for 32-bit compatibility). I want to test that my code works for all possible ways to enter a system call, which are (to my knowledge) the three following instructions:
- int $0x80
- sysenter
- syscall

So these three ways in, used in a 32 or 64 bits executable, makes 6 possible ways to enter a system call that I need to test. However, I have problems:

- sysenter/32 bits, executed on a 32 bit machine: I get a segfault on the sysenter instruction. I use the following code to enter the system call:
pid_t getpid32()
{
   pid_t resultvar;

   asm volatile (
   "push    %%ebp\n\t"
   "push    %%ecx\n\t"
   "push    %%edx\n\t"
   "mov     %%esp,%%ebp\n\t"
   "sysenter\n\t"
   ".space 20,0x90\n\t"
   "pop     %%edx\n\t"
   "pop     %%ecx\n\t"
   "pop     %%ebp\n\t"
: "=a" (resultvar) : "0" (__NR_getpid)
   : "memory");

   return resultvar;
}

Is there something wrong in the way I pass the parameters? I know this instruction can be tricky because of the way it messes different registers...

- int $0x80/64 bits: All system calls return -1 (EINTR). Is there something wrong in the way I call it:
pid_t getpid64()
{
   pid_t resultvar;

   asm volatile (
   "int $0x80\n\t"
: "=a" (resultvar) : "0" (__NR_getpid)
   : "memory");

   return resultvar;
}

- sysenter/64 bits: I get an illegal instruction. I've read that it's not implemented on AMD-64 (which is what I have). Is there ANY x86_64 machine on which this instruction is implemented? Does this mean that the code that handles this case in entry.S has never been run?

- syscall/64 bits: works fine
- int $0x80/32 bits: works fine
- syscall/32 bits: illegal instruction, but I guess that's all right because of the machine I use.

Can someone help with any of my issues (entering a system call with sysenter/32 bits, int $0x80/64 bits or sysenter/64 bits)?

Thanks in advance,

Mart

P.S. First post on this list, please reply in private if I did something wrong so that I won't do it again.