Re: Alsa sound vs OSS with wine and riven

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 03:50:46PM -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:
> I have been working to get "Riven" the sequel to Myst to work with the
> latest wine from cvs on the latest FC5. It works and the sound is
> almost perfect with OSS, but is totally screwed up when I use ALSA, I
> don't know whether this is a WINE or Linux issue, so I am cross
> posting to both lists.

I had the same experience even with a little lower requirements wrt.
CPU performance - music player daemon (mpd) tends to eat a lot more
cycles when it is configured to use alsa style devices, but is pretty
low-impact when it talks to the OSS emulation provided by the very same
alsa drivers.

With wine and starcraft on my not-so-recent yet well maintained laptop
the difference in results was ultimate.

By the way, I still have to apply some scheduler tricks, makes me wonder
about wine's development during the past few years. I used to play
starcraft through wine on an ancient Pentium, and now a Mobile Pentium
III is almost choking on it. I wonder what is going on...

Kind regards,
Chris