Re: Linux kernel development

Paolo Ciarrocchi <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 11/15/05, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> > >       http://linux.tar.bz/articles/2.6-development_process
> >
> > Ah, a very nice summary.
> >
> > Paolo, can I use this document as a base for this section in the HOWTO
> > file (with proper attribution of course.)
>
> That article is now living in a git tree, it now contains only spell
> checks but I plan to work more on it in the next few days.

I'd break it up into logical pieces (i.e., chapters...)

The lines are way too long for easy reading.

There are several other tools to check kernel quality: sparse, the
lockcheck, ... And don't forget about the various debugging config options

There are required tools for serious kernel development, i.e. git and its
entournage. Link to them.

You mention that patches cook in -mm for a while, but you don't tell what
that is beforehand. In general, a high-level overview of the current
git-based development would be useful, and the various important git kernel
trees and the patch flow among them.

Don't be shy in mentioning the stuff under Documentation in your nearest
kernel source!

Perhaps do an asccidoc format, to be able to create HTML?