Re: 2.6.17-rc5-mm2

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 19:38:36 +0100 (IST)
Mel Gorman <[email protected]> wrote:

This reliably goes kablam on an x86_64 machine with a tg3 network card
which was also happening for 2.6.17-rc5-mm1. A patch bisect found that
reversing git-net.patch and git-net-git-klibc-fixup.patch on top of
the -mm3 got rid of the problem. Don't ask me why.

The console log I have of the most common oops is below and the .config
used is attached. The oops happens reliably but at varying times and not
always the same oops either. Usually sshing into the machine and compiling
the kernel is enough. On at least one occasion, sshing to the machine
triggered it.

Yeah, sorry.  I _knew_ LLC was buggy but I forgot to mention it in the
release notes and wasted heaps of lots of people's time. Feel free to bill me :(

Nah, it gave me something handy to do on a Friday :)

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.17-rc5/2.6.17-rc5-mm2/hot-fixes/git-net-llc-fix.patch

should fix.

Confirmed. The machine passed some fairly basic tests it was failing on before.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student                          Linux Technology Center