RE: Page Allocation Failure, Why?? Bug in kernel??

Hi,

I am sorry to cause inconvenience. To put the doubts concisely, I am doing
the following:

I am removing the sound driver (shipped with kernel 2.6.13) and then
inserting the same. This all I am doing inside an infinite loop. Before this
I have reserved and used (setting the same with memset) some 900 pages to
simulate an application environment. I am running this application on Linux
2.6.13 on an ARM based target. During the course of the run I get the
following page allocation error:
---------------------------------------------------------------insmod: page
allocation failure. order:5, mode:0xd0
Mem-info:
DMA per-cpu:
cpu 0 hot: low 2, high 6, batch 1 used:5
cpu 0 cold: low 0, high 2, batch 1 used:1
Normal per-cpu: empty
HighMem per-cpu: empty
Free pages:         824kB (0kB HighMem)
Active:1625 inactive:291 dirty:0 writeback:0 unstable:0 free:206 slab:483
mapped:1382 pagetables:43
DMA free:824kB min:512kB low:640kB high:768kB active:6500kB inactive:1164kB
present:16384kB pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0
Normal free:0kB min:0kB low:0kB high:0kB active:0kB inactive:0kB present:0kB
pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0
HighMem free:0kB min:128kB low:160kB high:192kB active:0kB inactive:0kB
present:0kB pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0
DMA: 52*4kB 25*8kB 4*16kB 3*32kB 2*64kB 1*128kB 0*256kB 0*512kB 0*1024kB =
824kB
Normal: empty
HighMem: empty
Swap cache: add 0, delete 0, find 0/0, race 0+0
Free swap  = 0kB
Total swap = 0kB
Free swap:            0kB
4096 pages of RAM
422 free pages
593 reserved pages
483 slab pages
297 pages shared
0 pages swap cached
The meminfo and buddyinfo, before the said run of application, is as
follows:
Node 0, zone      DMA     15     20      4      3      2      2      0
0      0

MemTotal:        14296 kB
MemFree:           760 kB
Buffers:           224 kB
Cached:           2544 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:           7340 kB
Inactive:          520 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:        14296 kB
LowFree:           760 kB
SwapTotal:           0 kB
SwapFree:            0 kB
Dirty:               0 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:           5556 kB
Slab:             1932 kB
CommitLimit:      7148 kB
Committed_AS:     9148 kB
PageTables:        172 kB
VmallocTotal:   630784 kB
VmallocUsed:    262560 kB
VmallocChunk:   366588 kB
The meminfo and buddyinfo, after the said run of application, is as follows:
MemTotal:        14296 kB
MemFree:           936 kB
Buffers:           144 kB
Cached:           2440 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:           7308 kB
Inactive:          368 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:        14296 kB
LowFree:           936 kB
SwapTotal:           0 kB
SwapFree:            0 kB
Dirty:               0 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:           5556 kB
Slab:             1932 kB
CommitLimit:      7148 kB
Committed_AS:     9148 kB
PageTables:        172 kB
VmallocTotal:   630784 kB
VmallocUsed:    262560 kB
VmallocChunk:   366588 kB

Node 0, zone      DMA     21     32      4      3      2      2      0
0      0
I fail to understand that despite the fact the system has enough memory, it
is not allocating the same to application. Why? Is it possibly a bug in
kernel?

Thanks and anticipation.

~Abu.