Re: [v4l-dvb-maintainer] Re: Stradis driver conflicts with all other SAA7146 drivers

Michael Hunold <[email protected]> writes:

> Up to now, this problem did not show up so drastically. On the one hand,
> just a few dozen people use the MXB, a handful use the hexium_orion and
> the dpc7146 is really rare. All these users then simply tweaked their
> environment so that it works for the next boot.
>
> In order to fix this, these drivers should not be autoloaded because
> there is no sane way to autodetect these cards. In theory, you could do
> an i2c bus scan and check if all devices are there. But since MXB and
> dpc7146 both use the saa7111 video decoder on address 0x11 IIRC, the
> dpc7146 will grab any MXB device if loaded before.

Ouch.   Oh well, that means that those cards will need some kind of
manual intervention.

> Distributions probably should keep these drivers from being autoloaded.

I'm not too sure of how the module autoloading works, but would it
help just remove the line with:

    MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE(pci, pci_tbl);

from those drivers?  If I understand correctly, the contens of
MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE is what ends up in modules.pcimap.  That should
fix it for most distributions and the owners of those cards have to
add a manual modprobe command to their rc.local.

  /Christer

Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
Christer Weinigel <[email protected]>  http://www.weinigel.se