Re: Asus K8N-VM Motherboard Ethernet Problem

On Monday 29 May 2006 15:14, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 07:20:02PM +0100, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > Five minutes of research and I found this:
> >
> > http://www.asus.com.tw/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=952&l1=3&l2=14&l3
> >=245
> >
> > It indicates that the board, although using an nForce 410 chipset, does
> > NOT use NVIDIA ethernet, but (quote) "Relatek RTL8201CL external PHY";
> > you're probably trying the wrong driver and this is the source of the
> > problem.
> >
> > This info could be wrong, but I thought it might help.
>
> The linux driver is for the MAC, which is in the chipset.  The PHY is
> external, and it doens't particularly matter which one it is in general.
> The driver almost never has to care.  I know I don't have to tell the
> pcnet32 driver that I am using a broadcom 5221 PHY with it.  It works
> just fine because the MAC is an AMD 972 which is one fo the chips the
> pcnet32 driver operates.

Since this document reveals no information about such a MAC device, it is
still unknown whether forcedeth is truly to blame. From the silence of the
original poster I'm inclined to assume he's fixed the problem..

I was suspicious because in contra to the original post, it is NOT the case
that Windows XP (even SP2) will automatically detect and support NVIDIA
ethernet; a third party driver must be installed before the device is usable.
Realtek chips, however, tend to work out of the box..

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Third year Computer Science undergraduate.