Re: [v4l-dvb-maintainer] Re: Stradis driver conflicts with all other SAA7146 drivers

Em Seg, 2006-05-29 às 15:43 +0200, Michael Hunold escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> on 29.05.2006 15:33 Mauro Carvalho Chehab said the following:
> > On bttv and other boards, were we have such conflicts, we have an option
> > to specify what board is used (called card). When the driver locates a
> > board without PCI subvendor ID, it shows a help msg at dmesg and exits
> > (or load a generic handler). The user may then use card=xx (where xx is
> > the number of the board). IMHO, this is the better for saa7146 boards.
>
> bttv is a monolithic driver for all devices using Bt8x8 chipsets,
> whereas saa7146 and saa7146_vv only hold the core infrastructure that is
> common for all saa7146 cards.
>
> saa7146 does not know anything about a card, but the so-called extension
> driver (like mxb, hexium_orion or dpc7146) does. It holds the PCI IDs
> and is responsible for telling the system what card it supports and do
> any probing if necessary.
>
> I don't know where to put the card=xx parameter in that case, because
> the hexium_orion does not know mxb nor dpc7146. 8-(
>
> Since these cards don't have subvendor/subdevice IDs, it's impossible to
> find out which card is in the system.

We have two tasks:

1) Integrate your code and Nathan one;

2) create a generic handler for all saa7146 boards, moving all PCI probe
to the newer module. After detecting the card number, it should request
the specific module.

> CU
> Michael.
Cheers,