Ethernet driver module compilation (8139too)

Hello,

My Linux 2.4.18 machine has 2 ethernet interfaces: eepro100 and 8139too.

I need to put a minur changes (printk messages) into those drivers, which
are loaded as kernel modules .

I first changed the eepro then  compiled it seperatly (with
_DMODULE, -D__KERNEL and the correct path into
/lib/modules/.....) and everything worked well (was able to see my printing
through dmesg).

When I tried to change 8139too, it did not work -- not because of the code
change -- rather , I had some
problems in compiling this module.
When i rebooted the machine the interfaces wer not up, and when I did lsmod
8139too was not there.
I then tried to manually install it (insmod) and was promp with unresolved
external. I found out that
those unresolved belong to mii.o which was not loaded during the boot
process.
When I changed to the original 8139too.o (luckily I have saved it ...) the
machine is ok, mii.o
is loadede , and also 8139too.

I am sure the problem is in the way I compile this module , but i don't know
what is missing ?
I have browsed many Makefiles and could not tell what flags make the
8139too.o tell the boot that
it needs mii.o . The modules.dep file create during boot tme shows that
8139too depends on mii.o,
but from some reason mii.o is ot loaded.

Maybe I can not compile kernel modules seperatly, i.e., kernel modules that
are loaded during bot time ?

Obviosly i can do this procee manually: insmod mii, then 8139 and finally
bring the interface up.
But, i really need to know what went wrong there

Any help will be much appreciated

Chava Leviatan