Re: How to check if kernel sources are installed on a system?

Kyle,

On Sat, 27 May 2006, Kyle Moffett wrote:

> On May 26, 2006, at 11:35:30, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 May 2006, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >> /boot/config-`uname -r`
> >
> > Debian (Woody), OTOH strips extra names of their kernels, so 3 or 4
> > different releases of the same upstream kernel version all install
> > with the same name and report `uname -r` the same.  If multiple of
> > these kernels and a vanilla kernel are installed, their config
> > files will be difficult to distinguish.  dpkg can be used (similar
> > to above for rpm) to test the condition.
>
> Huh?  My Debian system here has:
>
>    /boot/config-2.6.15-1-powerpc-smp
>
> This corresponds to the config of the currently installed version and
> revision ("2.6.15-8") of the "linux-image-2.6.15-1-powerpc-smp"
> package.  Since you can only have one version of a given package
> installed at once, this poses no problems.
>
> If I upgrade to a new one (say "2.6.15-9") that changes the config
> slightly or adds a new distro patch, then that config and kernel
> image would replace the currently installed one.  If I use make-kpkg
> to build and install a custom kernel tuned for "host":
>
>    make-kpkg [args] --append-to-version -zeus1-1-powerpc-smp --
> revision 1 kernel_image
>
> Now I get a package "linux-image-2.6.15-zeus1-1-powerpc-smp" version
> "2.6.15-1", with:
>
>    /boot/config-2.6.15-zeus1-1-powerpc-smp
>
> I see no potential for confusion or mismatch here.

Woody, ... I said Woody, not Sarge.

2.4 kernel distributions under Woody had this problem.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email protected]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦