Re: Recent x86-64 patch causes many devices to disappear

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 07:08 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:
> >> Agreed.
> >
> > Do you use SCSI on your box? According to Joachim booting with
> > segmentation on and not pci=noacpi SCSI is not seen. And that's the
> > default setup on the machine which made it unusable.
>
> Here, I see:
>
> 	segmentation on + pci=noacpi == no SCSI
> and additionally
> 	segmentation on + pci=noacpi == no sata_mv
> and thus overall
> 	segmentation on + pci=noacpi == no PCI-X bus
>
> (as the posted output on gtf.org shows)

Here are the results from Joachim (without the patch):
(from novell.bugzilla.com bug #82986):

segmentation enablee with no extra kernel params = not working
segmentation enabled with pci=noacpi = working
segmentation disabled with no extra kernel params = working
segmentation disabled with pci=noacpi = working

I'd say that only disabling when segmentation is enabled makes sense...,
however the devices should still appear.
I know there are a lot BIOS versions of this machines flying around.
Maybe everybody should check that the latest version is running, first?
I have:
BIOS Information
        Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
        Version: 786B9 v2.05