Re: PCI reset using x86 or x86-64 BIOS calls?

Linas Vepstas wrote:
I've go a newbie x86 BIOS question: is there a BIOS function that can be called to reset a PCI device? (By "reset a device" I mean
raise the #RST PCI signal line to electrical high for 1.5 seconds).
I know that BIOS does this during a soft reboot, but I was wondering
if there's a stand-alone function for doing this while the system is up
and running.

Unlikely - if you mean just resetting one PCI device, it's likely electrically impossible on many, if not most machines as the RST lines will be tied together on all slots.

The BIOS might possibly have the ability to issue a PCI bus reset independent of resetting the CPU, chipset, etc. but I don't think there's any standardized way to trigger this, even so.

In any case, I don't think - or at least would hope - that a PCI device going so far into the weeds that it can't be recovered without a RST would be a rare situation.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]