Re: Compact Flash Serial ATA patch

markus reichelt wrote:
* Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

On Maw, 2006-05-23 at 04:16 -0600, Russell McConnachie wrote:
I am not exactly a programmer, I'm sure this can be written much
better but for anyone who may run into a similar problem with
compact flash.
Some CF adapters do not include all the neccessary pins for DMA
because they were designed to be cheap before the idea of CF using
DMA seemed realistic.

Some CF adapters I've seen included all necessary pins but the pin
connections for DMA were missing. Someone at a slackware mailing list
was having the same problem, and if I recall correctly (better check
specs though) it can be fixed quite easily:

CF pin 44: disconnect from +V, connect to IDE pin 29.
CF pin 43: connect to IDE pin 21.

Typical transfer rates increased to about 10-12 MB/s
No more than that?  I have a CF card on parallel IDE,
hdparm can read 20MB/s from it with the 4GB 100xKingston
card I use to boot from.  Of course this card was bought
precisely for its speed (and size).

Helge Hafting