Re: pcmcia oops on 2.6.17-rc[12]

On Llu, 2006-05-22 at 13:50 +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> The question I'm stuck with is: When is it valid to ask for a non-shared
> IRQ, and get back a shared one.

I don't think it is. The problem is that some PCMCIA drivers currently
assume they can do so. The rules changed a bit over time on the hardware
side. The real fix is to squash those. I sent out a patch which warns
when a shared IRQ is given and an exclusive one requested so that it is
possible to pin down offenders.

> I happen to know (ISA) hardware that CANNOT share an interrupt: It
> drives the IRQ line either high or low, and has a driver that will

You happen to be wrong. Some ISA boards use the correct diodes and
pulldowns and can share an IRQ line although being edge triggered you
must take great care to get it right.

Alan