RE: replacing X Window System !

> > Although one has to admit that working with remote X
> terminals over a
> > SSH/WAN/VPN-connection is far from usefull, [...]
> You can tunnel just about anything X11 over SSH/VPN/etc.; even things
> like a whole desktop GUI; not just plain X terminals.

Did you actually do that? Starting Firefox over a 6 Mbit VPN takes about 3
minutes on a FAST machine. That´s not acceptable - our users want (almost)
immediate response to an application, to clicking and waiting 10 seconds
until the app is doing something.

> > However, there´s NX (http://www.nomachine.com/) and
> > other products but out of the box X11 it´s quite slow over
> higher latency
> > connections.
> One good way to reduce latency (at least when using X11 over SSH) is
> to tell SSH to compress its connection tunnel ("ssh -C ...").

Yes, this will start Firefox (as an example) down to 2 minutes 15 seconds
and put additional compression/decompression load on the system. We go for
AIP right now (Sun Secure Global Desktop), there you have the feeling as if
you were sitting in front of the box.

--
Markus