Re: replacing X Window System !

 --- Jesper Juhl <[email protected]> a écrit :
> And when the windowing system crashes it'll take the
> kernel down with it - ouch.

It is already happening today with X, because :
X runs as root - ouch.
X can write into kernel memory - ouch.
X can mess with clocks - ouch.
X can mess with PCI bus - ouch.
etc.  - ouch.

> And if I want to run a headless server without a
> graphical display I
> can't simply stop the windowing system I'd have to
> rebuild a kernel
> without the windowing system in it - yuck.

Is it so difficult to disable a module ? - yuck.

> What we have now is a nicely decoupled system - it
> would be even
> better if X was even more decoupled from the kernel,
> but lets not put
> the windowing system in kernel space.

We dont need 2 kernels like today.
All "dangerous code" should be in kernel.

> Do you really want to put all that complexity into
> the kernel?

Kernel is already complex, that wouldnt affect it.
But that would greatly simplify the whole system.