Re: acpi4asus

Hi!

> >I am far from qualified to comment on this, but from a
> >users point of view, is it possible to not have laptop
> >specific code in the kernel?
> >I have had two Linux laptops and with both I had ACPI
> >issues.
> >The vendors of both laptops (Toshiba Tecra S1 and now
> >an Asus W3V) don't seem to be following standards. With
> >both I seem to need to patch ACPI to get various
> >functions of the laptop to work.
> >I would love to see laptop specific functionality
> >definitions exist outside the kernel.
> >
> I don't think that forcing laptop users to have their
> own code outside the kernel is really the best approach
> for either the developers or the users. Most users will

No, we don't want that. But we do not want ibm-acpi, toshiba-acpi,
asus-acpi, etc, when they really only differ in string constants used.

We want userland to tell kernel 'mail led is controlled by AML routine
foo', instead of having gazillion *-acpi modules.

--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.