Re: Segfault on the i386 enter instruction

Hi.

Andi Kleen wrote:
Handling it like you expect would require to disassemble the function in the page fault handler and it's probably not worth doing that for this weird case.
Just wondering, is this case really that weird?
In fact, the check against %esp that the kernel
does, looks strange. I realize that it can catch a
(very rare) user-space bug of accessing below %esp, but
other than that it looks redundant (IMHO) and as soon as
it triggers the false-positives, what is it really good for?
Aren't the rlimit and the other checks of acct_stack_growth()
not enough, or am I missing something obvious?