Re: + deprecate-smbfs-in-favour-of-cifs.patch added to -mm tree

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 08:11:44PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

 > So at this stage, 2.6.18 still appears to be a good time to start pushing
 > people toward cifs, and December looks like an appropriate time to mark
 > smbfs as broken.  Subject to, of course, feedback-from-the-field.

I'm surprised that other vendors are actually still shipping it[1].
(Not only that, some vendors have actually been sitting on smbfs
 patches for well over a year).

Given that it's clearly abandoned, moving to cifs seems to be the
only sensible thing to do, and anything that can be done to ease
that transition should be done.

		Dave

[1] Especially after the recent security problem where smbfs stayed
vulnerable for a week or so after CIFS got fixed.  How many bad guys
thought "Hmm, wonder if smbfs has the same bug" in that week?

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk