Re: No DPMS for Console on x86_64

Thomas Zehetbauer <[email protected]> writes:

> I wonder how difficult it would be, to port APM to the x86_64

Modern systems generally don't have working APM anymore.
There are replacement ACPI video options, but they seem to
be rarely implemented because the system vendors assume the
video driver will do the job.

Also even if they had it wouldn't be implemented in the 64bit
kernel.

> architecture or to provide DPMS support in the FBDev drivers.

There is some code from PPC for that, but it is generally very
PPC specific. Backlight control also varies a lot so it would
likely need tweaks for most laptops.

Or just run a X server. It also doesn't get this right always, but
at least sometimes.

-Andi