Re: ata_piix failure on ich6m

Tejun Heo wrote:
Matthew Garrett wrote:
Hi,

We've got an ich6m system (a Toshiba Portege S100). ata_piix attempts to drive the chipset, but fails - however, it doesn't bail out. As a result it remains bound to the device and ahci isn't loaded.

I've attached the lspci output for the chipset. A few things to note are:

1) The AHCI BAR is set
2) The SCC register identifies it as an AHCI controller
3) Bits 2 and 0 of the PCS are set, which the spec claims indicates that the port is to be controlled as an ahci device.

So, my question is effectively: why does ata_piix attempt to disable ahci rather than simply letting the ahci driver bind? Points (1) and (2) seem to be checked by the code, but I'm guessing that in the case of (3) it should just return ENODEV and let ahci be run instead. If so, should I code up a patch?

I'm not very sure but it might be historical. ahci got implemented after ata_piix and in the meantime ata_piix must have handled all it could. Can you verify whether modifying the code to return -ENODEV work for your machine? If so, that could be the correct solution but I'm a bit worried because it could change probing order or fail to enable devices it used to. Maybe we need a hack to return -ENODEV iff ahci is there to handle the device.

It's definitely historical. I'm pretty frazzled now so I don't remember. It may be that on ICH6, AHCI mode does not cause the PCI IDs to change, so driver load order winds up dictating what gets used.

	Jeff