Re: [BUG 2.6.17-git] kmem_cache_create: duplicate cache scsi_cmd_cache

On Fri, 12 May 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> You introduced a commit that fixed one thing, and broke another thing.

And btw, don't take that "you" personally.

This happens.

All the time. And definitely _not_ just to you.

It's why common infrastructure can be such an incredible pain: it may be a
nice common layer, but it does obviously end up affecting a hell of a lot
of different devices and usages. "Private" code is often much better, and
that's what we used to have.

Now, sadly, I think we need that common device layer infrastructure
exactly because otherwise we could never have done any global device
management etc, so in this case that common interface is definitely a
"necessary evil".

And with that necessary evil comes the linkages that it implies.

We'd all be much happier of one piece of code didn't depend on five or six
other pieces of code, and a bug-fix in one place would be guaranteed to
not ever have any other side effects.

We'd all also be much happier if we were all young, healthy, good-looking
and drive Lamborghinis. And didn't have incipient beer-bellies (not that
_I_ would ever have one, of course.. Oh, no. I'm obviously talking about
all you other scruffy people. Me, I'm perfect.)

Sadly, neither of the above schenarios are really very realistic.

So we'd love to have more information. Please?

		Linus