Re: ata_piix failure on ich6m

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:16:08AM +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:

> I'm not very sure but it might be historical.  ahci got implemented
> after ata_piix and in the meantime ata_piix must have handled all it
> could.  Can you verify whether modifying the code to return -ENODEV work
> for your machine?  If so, that could be the correct solution but I'm a
> bit worried because it could change probing order or fail to enable
> devices it used to.  Maybe we need a hack to return -ENODEV iff ahci is
> there to handle the device.

I can verify that just loading ahci before ata_piix is successful, and
udev will load both of them since the PCI IDs match. So just having
ata_piix refuse to bind would solve the problem. Unfortunately I can't
see a way of doing this only if ahci is present if they're modular...

--
Matthew Garrett | [email protected]