Re: libata PATA patch update

Alan Cox wrote:

am using slackware 10.2 (vanilla) "cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)". A while ago someone on this list pointed to some patches for SG_IO use with cdparanoia but this made my machine highly unstable. Would you like me to retest with this new driver? If so, any specific version of cdparanoia?

I would be interested to know what happens if you try this, version
doesn't matter.

Did so. Took vanilla cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8 from:

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/cdparanoia/cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8.src.tgz

and then applied the labels and sgio patches from:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS/cdparanoia-alpha9.8-24.src.rpm

Unfortunately, the only difference with regular cdparanoia seems to be that info bit. Now it's just:

===
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...

CDROM model sensed sensed: PLEXTOR CD-R   PREMIUM 1.06

Checking for SCSI emulation...
        Drive is ATAPI (using SCSI host adaptor emulation)

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive is MMC style
Verifying CDDA command set...
        Expected command set reads OK.
===

Nothing about the SG interface and no "Couldn't disable kernel command translation layer" bit therefore. It gives me the exact same times regular cdparanoia does; 15-25% user, 15-20% system. This might be expected; it seems not unlikely in fact that the SG_IO patch would only be expected to do something for usage through the IDE driver. Added Jens Axboe to the CC...

I rechecked that it does indeed make a difference for the IDE driver and it does. Almost immediate timeout/lockups again, as I reported once before:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/10/373

This does seem to be drive dependent -- I do not get this when ripping from my DVD-ROM drive (hdd, sr1). There is also no difference in times though between normal and patched cdparanoia on hdd, so as a summary of what this SG_IO patch is doing for me, "nothing useful" will do nicely.

Oh well; in any case, in the context of this pata test, no regressions!

Rene.