Re: How to read BIOS information

Thanks alot for all...

Regards,
Madhukar Mythri.

Richard Mittendorfer wrote:

Also sprach Stefan Smietanowski <[email protected]> (Tue, 09 May 2006
14:29:01 +0200):
Alan Cox wrote:
On Maw, 2006-05-09 at 10:53 +0530, Madhukar Mythri wrote:

yeah, your are correct. but, the thing is my superiors want, even
if  >kernel not reconize/use HT, we have to capture it from BIOS...
Thats why i asked as, how to read BIOS information?
You ask the BIOS vendor for the exact board in question.

If you want to ask the processor itself then you can use the model
specific registers. These are accessible via /dev/cpu/<cpuid>/msr so
you can perform the Intel recommended sequence for checking if the
processor has HT enabled.

It might be simpler to look in /proc/cpuinfo if you just need the
basic information
He's actually asking if the BIOS has turned on HT, not if some other
means has...

BUT, the only thing I can think of is turning OFF HT in the BIOS,
reading the CMOS, storing it somewhere, turning ON HT, storing
that somewhere and comparing them. Then he'll know that in his
specific BIOS revision on his specific mainboard that bit is
stored in one specific place and he can go from there.

Messy, definately not recommended, stupid but hey, if the bosses
ask for it and you gotta give it ..

Just make triple sure you tell them that if you upgrade the BIOS
the test might fail or if you change mainboard, etc.

IIRC the chipset should know about this?
Something like hex /sys/devices/pci0000:0/0000:00:00.0/config and
comparing registers with the chipset's datasheet?

// Stefan

sl ritch