dm-crypt is broken and causes massive data corruption

Hi,

it's been many months that dm-crypt has been broken, and is known to cause massive data corruption.

Various people have noticed this, have lost data and wasted many hours trying to find the reason, and still NOTHING is being done about it. The problem seems to occur only in conjunction with RAID (dm-crypt on top of RAID) (or possibly it occurs only in conjunction with large filesystems). I've had issues with that for many months as well, trying to eliminate other possible reasons. There are none.

Let's say this loud and clear:

dm-crypt causes data corruption. Yet it is not even marked as "EXPERIMENTAL" in the kernel config, when in fact it's more than just experimental, it's "DANGEROUS/BROKEN".

Here are some more reports:

(That was for 2.6.8, but the problems are still the same in recent kernel versions)

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=170304
(Similar config, similar problem - this time with 2.6.12 and 2.6.15)

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/96509133/m/282007248731/r/224008458731
(Again the same constellation, and the same problem.)

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=114664786711245&w=2
(Same config, same problem. This time with 2.6.16!)

BTW the problem seems to be independent from the filesystem used; however, filesystems seem to be more or less robust against this type of corruption. With ext3, the filesystem would mess itself up within hours on my system. With XFS, massive corruption (all data lost) had occured after a few weeks. With ReiserFS 3, occasional problems that were fixable using reiserfsck --rebuild-tree occured.

Sorry for the rant. But I think this is an important issue that needs to be adressed ASAP, before even more people lose their data. Keep in mind that crypto filesystems are typically used for systems where the data is sensitive and important! Something must be done about it - in the worst case, removing dm-crypt from the mainline kernel.

Please CC replies to me, as I'm not subscribed to either linux-kernel or dm-crypt.

bye,
Tillmann
--
Dipl.-Ing. Tillmann Steinbrecher        http://www.igd.fhg.de/~tsteinbr/