Re: [patch 11/14] remap_file_pages protection support: pte_present should not trigger on PTE_FILE PROTNONE ptes

On Saturday 06 May 2006 12:03, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Blaisorblade wrote:

> > What could be done is to set a PTE with "no protection", use another bit
> > rather than _PAGE_PROTNONE. This wastes one more bit but doable.

> I see.

> I guess your problem is that you're overloading the pte protection bits
> for present ptes as protection bits for not present (file) ptes. I'd rather
> you just used a different encoding for file pte protections then.

Yes, this is what I said above, so we agree; and indeed this overloading was
decided when the present problem didn't trigger, so it can now change. As
detailed in the patch description, the previous PageReserved handling
prevented freeing page 0 and hided this.

> "Wasting" a bit seems much more preferable for this very uncommon case (for
> most people) rather than bloating pte_present check, which is called in
> practically every performance critical inner loop).

Yes, I thought about this problem, I wasn't sure how hard it was.

> That said, if the patch is i386/uml specific then I don't have much say in
> it.

It's presently specific, but will probably extend. Implementations for some
other archs were already sent and I've collected them (will send
afterwards,I've avoided excess bloat).

> If Ingo/Linus and Jeff/Yourself, respectively, accept the patch, then
> fine.

> But I think you should drop the comment from the core code. It seems wrong.

Yep, forgot there, thanks for reminding, I've now removed it.
--
Inform me of my mistakes, so I can keep imitating Homer Simpson's "Doh!".
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade (Skype ID "PaoloGiarrusso", ICQ 215621894)