Re: Linux 2.6.16.14

Hi Willy.

On Friday 05 May 2006 14:50, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:03:31PM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > Hi.

> > > He does every couple months and leaves it open for a few weeks.
> > > Then, just to keep us guessing, he releases it with a 2.6 name ;-)
> > >
> > > Actually, I think the system is working quite well.  We've got a quick
> > > route for getting bug fixes and security fixes to users, and a shorter
> > > devel cycle helping distro folks get more regular drops from upstream.
> > > This particular patch applies all the way back to the beginning of git
> > > time (over a year ago), and I'm sure earlier.  So it's hard to conclude
> > > it's a byproduct of the release cycles.
> > >
> > :) Tongue was firmly in cheek. I guess I should have said more initially.
> > : It
> >
> > wasn't so much the patch, as the speed with which they're coming. It
> > makes me (at least) feel like the stable series is unstable. Couldn't you
> > store them up for a day or two at a time (unless of course they really
> > are that important that they require a quicker cycle).
>
> I don't agree with your analysis at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm
> amazed that Chris & Greg manage to update so often. Right now, you can be
> confident that there's always an *official* kernel version which fixes a
> few days-old vulnerability. I'd like to be that fast to provide 2.4
> hotfixes (I still have one fix pending).
>
> The enormous advantage of releasing lots of small updates is that people
> just have to choose when they want to update. If you're not affected by
> the SMB vulnerability, don't upgrade. That's that simple. It makes it
> much easier to class bug reports (eg: the last one on speedstep which
> "appeared" in 2.6.16.13 and not 2.6.16.12 while no such code has changed).
> Sometimes, a config option will have changed on the user side, or a gcc
> update will have been performed which might explain a new bug which we
> can be certain does not come from the source.
>
> What might be interesting with this release cycle would be to work on
> hot-patching. There has already been such things in the past with modules
> which patched some functions. It would avoid a full compile and a reboot
> in some circumstances.
>
> That said, kudos to Chris and Greg for their excellent work ! Please
> don't change.
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Nigel
>
> Regards,
> Willy

Thanks for your email. I can certainly see the validity of the points you
make - I guess it just goes to prove that there is often more than one way of
looking at things :)

I didn't mention it previously - I guess because it was subconscious - but I'm
looking at things from the point of view of someone maintaining an
out-of-tree patch. With almost all of these revisions, my patch continues to
apply cleanly, but I still get people asking "Is the patch for 2.6.16.9" safe
to apply against "2.6.16.9+x"? I simply don't have the time to continually
test and check, but I end up feeling like there's a new 2.6.x release
everyday that I just have to keep up with, because that's what the stable
users want. Maybe it just proves that I should hurry up and get the git tree
finished so I get try to get Suspend2 merged :)

Regards,

Nigel