Re: Add a "enable" sysfs attribute to the pci devices to allow userspace (Xorg) to enable devices without doing foul direct access

On 5/4/06, Peter Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 17:48 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:

> Let me be clear here. A lot of laptop video hardware does not have a
> video ROM.

Why do you assume we're only talking about laptops?

Because when you make statements like...
Except to enable the BAR and read it from the assigned address...

That statement doesn't hold true for laptops. It indicates that you
may not be aware of all of the issues around VGA bus routing and video
ROMs. For example there are a lot of special issues with VGA support
in large large machines like the SGI Altix that have multiple
independent PCI domains. Owners of all of these other architectures
(PPC especially) having been beating me up for two years making me
aware of all of their weird cases.

--
  Peter

--